Thursday, May 8, 2008

"Hear instructions...and do not neglect it."

A very wise friend of mine, who heard from another wise friend of ours, told me "if we are obedient to the small things when we hear God's whispers, then it will be easier for us to recognize and be obedient to God's voice in the big things."

Every day we get nudges from God: don't wear that skirt today, feed this homeless guy, don't text that person, don't spend money on this, pray for this person, park over here instead, talk to them, distance yourself from these people, don't go out tonight...

Yesterday I had the strangest nudge "don't go out tonight." I first heard it when a few of my gnomies went out to flier AGO with intentions of getting Martin back-a very amusing idea that I helped provoke and witnessed the creation of, but I stayed home. They came back, and told me it didn't go so well. Hmm, I guess it wouldn't have been worth it if I went after all.

Later that night, in response to my invitation to The Living Room, there was that nudge again, "don't go out." "But why God? A good group of people playing a solid game..how could apples to apples be detrimental to my relationship with you? Partaking in this would be completely harmless."

I didn't go.

Unexpectedly a favorite pledge sis of mine walked in the door. "Spend time with her." We ended up having a lovely heart to heart which involved lots of pouring in and bonding; needless to say, it was necessary and from God for me to stay home.

A call, yet another invitation to The Living Room. The ultimate test...we were finishing up our conversation and soon she would be on her way out; there was no reason to not go except for the tiny conviction God gave me earlier.

I didn't know why but I knew I was supposed to say no. I declined.

Literally as soon as one of my pledge sisters left, another of my favorites walked through the door. Coming in only to pick up a few items, it was clear to me my pledge sis desired a friend and her spirit longed for fellowship. Unfortunately we didn't get to finish our conversation but that is beside the point.

Our convictions are not just for us. Our obedience doesn't just bless us. Nothing we do when it is demanded by God only affects us. God is resourceful. He uses everything.
I had no idea that not only one but two people I love would walk through the door needing some instant love from my pocket. The only thing I did was obey.

Simple. Obey God and you'll be blessed and bless others.

Proverbs 8:33 "Hear instructions and be wise, and do not neglect it."
..."Happy is the one who listens to me, watching daily at my gates, waiting beside my doors."

2 comments:

Christian said...

one word came to me when I read this post...OBEY

brittany said...

Yes! Sometimes the simplest of commands generate the largest outcome worth the taking.