Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Unstoppable

How can it be that I spent 3 hours listening to one of the most intellectual persons I have ever met dissect and explain his beliefs in Atheism, yet my faith remains completely undisturbed and even somewhat solidified? Last night at The Living Room, I kept on looking at this guy (I know what you're thinking...no.) "How do I know him? Why does he look so familiar? Why can't I remember where I have met him?" were the questions I asked myself. Before I knew it I found myself staring at him and it became apparent he found myself staring at him too. In failing to identify him and in too many awkward attempts to meet eyes and have half conversations of "do I know you?"..."no," I decided to just let it be. Trying to get back to homework was impossible: not just because I was at the same table as Matey and Tootsie, but because I had an overwhelming desire to talk with him. I knew this feeling, this was an undeniable nudge from God-'its time to work.' So I waved him over and he came and sat with us. Almost instantly our conversation took off in the familiar route of beginning with high school, proceeding to music then to straightedge and finally to Christian hardcore...perfect.
Shortly after May and Toots peaced, he was telling me all about his up-brining in Catholicism, the questions his teachers could never answer, the logic he found in Atheism, and his disagreement with many organized institutions and empires in both government and religion.
Different from the approach I took in Tampa, I decided this conversation about religion would be different-"how does God want me to handle this?" Listen. So I sat there, and listened. He reminded me of a child hungry for knowledge-the kind that always asked "why?" after every statement. It was clear that he is a thorough guy, seeking all the facts-cautious and some what skeptical about who filtered the knowledge before he takes it in.
Somehow, his hunger for knowledge gave me peace. It was as if God was teaching me not to be afraid of exposure to the world's knowledge; that we are not slaves to other's interpretation of fact. God told me, "you're okay...you're faith is rooted in me and I am not rooted in the world."
And yes, God was right. I was okay.

I learned that theories, opinions and "absolutes" will not adversely influence my faith; regardless of how eloquent or convincing they seem, I have an undeniable relationship with God and it is unstoppable ;)

How soothing, what peace.

4 comments:

Adrian LeRay said...

Thats really awesome. I had a some what similar experience today with a guy at the gym, I will Blog about it later. Anyways, it's rad how God places random people out of nowhere for us to listen and talk to. I love talking to random people and which is why I am in the middle of trying to get equipped for. Yeah so, thanks for sharing and I love how your blogs are always inspiring in some way. Cool, later

AWANA said...

Being bold with the "case for Christ" is difficult yet rewarding.
I think of Paul and his letter to the Colossians and how he encouraged them. He writes.....

Colossians 4

"2Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. 3And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. 4Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. 5Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. 6Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."

Yes there are times for us to stop and just listen. However it should cause us to grieve for their souls and desire an opportunity to speak the TRUTH!
I'll be praying that you will be given another chance to speak with him and that God will cause you to be bold for His sake!

Timothy Vincent Dombrowski said...

I would first like to point out how awkward you are sometimes, and I absolutely love it and wouldn't to know you any other way.
As to the important part of the message, it may be hard to do, but it often times is neccessary. As I said to my pledge bro who told me that it was bad for Underoath's Christian fans who attended when they played and read the Bible at a tour with several satanic/immoral bands as a ministry opportunity, that if your beliefs aren't strong enough to be able to listen to opposing ideas, it isn't really that strong at all. The fact that I can listen to all opposition and still believe the same reaffirms that it is the truth. I'm glad to see that you are able to do that because you can't really tell people your beliefs and expect them to be receptive if you don't also listen to them first. I'm proud of you, its hard but neccessary.

Banjo said...

Its amazing.. everything God can show us.. and he uses anything too. Even peoples logic against the truth can end up working to reaffirm everything we believe and understand. it kinda reminds me of that Rob Bell nooma video "breath" i think thats what it was called.